4.38 Informatics Forum
School of Informatics
10 Chrichton Street
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, UK
- (office) +44 (0)131 650-8286
I am senior research associate at
the Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC)
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh.
The focus of my research has been in the field of
statistical machine translation. In this field I have had a particular interest in
modelling and measuring word order difference, in spoken language translation, and in
applying neural networks to the translation problem.
More generally I am interested in how computational linguistics and machine learning can
be combined to provide compelling NLP applications.
Most of my work is done in conjunction with the
group and the
I am also working with a PhD Student
on semantically informed machine translation.
- I will be project managing a new EU big data project starting in February 2016: SUMMA, Scalable Understanding of Multilingual MediA
- Principle investigator in a project where we are collaborating with Samsung.
- Workpackage leader in the Health in my Language project (HimL), an EU2020 ICT 17 project which is running from 2015-2018
- Co-ordinating Edinburgh's participation in Translation of Massive Open Online Courses (TraMOOC), an EU2020 ICT 17 project which is running from 2015-2018
- Participant in EU-Bridge from 2012-2014
- Participant in GRAMPLUS from 2011-2012
- PhD in School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh 2011
- Masters of Computer Science with distinction, University of Edinburgh 2005
- Bachelor of Science Honours Degree in Computer Science, University of Cape Town, South Africa 1996
- The LRscore for measuring the quality of word order. Please see the included README for details.
- Seminar on SMT and SLT in Samsung, Warsaw, August, 2014
- Guest lecture in SMT course, Edinburgh, March, 2014
- Seminar at Stirling University on SMT and Spoken Language Translation, Stirling, Oct, 2013
- Tutorial on Phrase-Based Decoding, MT Marathon, Prague, Sept, 2013
- Presentation at SEECAT summer workshop on Spoken Language Translation, Copenhaguen, May, 2013
- Tutorial on IBM Models and Word Alignment, MT Marathon, Edinburgh, UK 2007
- Reviewer for numerous computational linguistics conferences and journals including: NAACL, EMNLP, ACL, TACL and MT Journal.
December 2001 - July 2004: Analyst programmer for Trymedia Systems, Alicante, Spain
January 2000 - July 2001: Analyst programmer for American Management Systems, Madrid, Spain
December 1997 - December 1998: Analyst programmer for Toggle Ltd, London, UK