4.38 Informatics Forum
School of Informatics
10 Chrichton Street
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, EH8 9AB, UK
- (office) +44 (0)131 650-8286
I am senior research associate at
the Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC)
School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh.
I have been working in the field of machine translation on many different sub-fields including reordering, evaluation, semantics, and spoken language translation. My recent interests have focussed on neural machine translation where advances using sub-word units and monolingual data have beaten state-of-the-art baselines.
More generally I am interested in how computational linguistics and machine learning can
be combined to provide compelling NLP applications.
Most of my work is done in conjunction with the
group and the
I am also working with a PhD Student
on semantically informed machine translation, and with visiting student Tomasz Dwojak on efficient and hybrid architectures for neural machine translation.
I am currently the organising the first Workshop on Neural Machine Translation together with Graham Neubig, Thang Luong, and Andrew Finch. Please join us in Vancouver!
- We have got two demo papers into EACL, one on the Nematus Neural Machine Translation codebase, and one on the first prototype of the SUMMA media monitoring platform.
I also have a Google Scholar
- The LRscore for measuring the quality of word order. Please see the included README for details.
- Giving a talk on Neural MT in Edinburgh at Amazon in Berlin, March, 2017
- Presented the SUMMA project and neural machine translation at the MESA (Media & Entertainment Services Alliance) event in London, Feb, 2017
- Presented a Workshop on Neural Machine Translation at AMTA with Rico Sennrich and Marcin Junczys-Dowmunt, Texas, November, 2016
- Presented the SUMMA project and neural machine translation at LT-Accelerate in Brussels, Nov, 2016
- Seminar on SMT and SLT in Samsung, Warsaw, August, 2014
- Guest lecture in SMT course, Edinburgh, March, 2014
- Seminar at Stirling University on SMT and Spoken Language Translation, Stirling, Oct, 2013
- Tutorial on Phrase-Based Decoding, MT Marathon, Prague, Sept, 2013
- Presentation at SEECAT summer workshop on Spoken Language Translation, Copenhaguen, May, 2013
- Tutorial on IBM Models and Word Alignment, MT Marathon, Edinburgh, UK 2007
- Organising the first workshop on Neural Machine Translation with , Vancouver, August, 2017
- Machine Translation and Multilingual Area Chair, EACL, 2017
- Tutorial chair for ACL 2016, EMNLP, 2017
- Ongoing reviewing for computational linguistics conferences and journals including: NAACL, EMNLP, ACL, TACL and MT Journal.
- PhD in School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh 2011
- Masters of Computer Science with distinction, University of Edinburgh 2005
- Bachelor of Science Honours Degree in Computer Science, University of Cape Town, South Africa 1996
December 2001 - July 2004: Analyst programmer for Trymedia Systems, Alicante, Spain
January 2000 - July 2001: Analyst programmer for American Management Systems, Madrid, Spain
December 1997 - December 1998: Analyst programmer for Toggle Ltd, London, UK