Antonio Valerio Miceli Barone
Back to homepage
- First name: Antonio Valerio
- Last name: Miceli Barone
- Birth place and year: Palermo, Italy. 1982.
- Nationality: Italian
- Languages: Italian (native), English (proficient)
- Research associate (post-doc) at the University of Edinburgh (UK).
- I work on the IARPA MATERIAL project. 02/2018 - present.
- I worked on the Horizon 2020 projects TraMOOC (Translation for Massive Open Online Courses) and QT21 (Quality Translation 21). 04/2016 - 01/2018.
- Laurea triennale (Bachelor's degree) in Computer Engineering from Università di Palermo (Italy) with a score of 110/110 cum laude, defending a thesis titled: "Implementation of a neural digital system for sequence recognition based on flash memory devices", under the supervision of Professor Antonio Chella (Università di Palermo) and Giuseppe Compagno (STMicroeletronics), 12/07/2004.
- Laurea specialistica (Master's degree) in Computer Engineering for Intelligent Systems from Università di Palermo (Italy) with a score of 110/110 cum laude, defending a thesis titled: "Quantum random walks to graph search", under the supervision of Professor Michelangelo Zarcone and Professor G. Massimo Palma (Università di Palermo), 21/07/2009.
- PhD in Computer Science from Università di Pisa (Italy), defending a thesis titled: "Syntax-based machine translation using dependency grammars and discriminative machine learning", under the supervision of Professor Giuseppe Attardi (Università di Pisa), 23/06/2015.
- SFM-10:QAPL "10th International School on Formal Methods for the Design of Computer, Communication and Software Systems: Quantitative Aspects of Programming Languages", Bertinoro (Italy), 21-26/06/2010.
- Sixth Machine Translation Marathon, Trent (Italy), 05-10/09/2011.
- Recipient of a grant from CNR (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, National Research Council) for the compilation of my Master's degree thesis, within the "Specialization Programme for Young Researchers in the field of Information and Communications Technology", 18/10/2006 – 19/04/2007.
- Recipient of a research grant from Università di Pisa, co-founded by Regione Toscana "Machine Reading s.s.d INF/01 – Informatica – (cod. 1a)", 05/12/2012 – 31/07/2013.
International conferences and workshops
- Attended European Robotics Symposium 2006, Palermo, Italy.
- Attended ACL HLT 2011, Portland, Oregon. Presented at co-located SSST-5.
- Attended EACL 2012, Avignon, France. Presented at co-located ROBUS-UNSUP-12.
- Attended BICA 2012, Palermo, Italy.
- Attended ACL 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria. Presented at co-located WMT-13.
- Attended AI*IA 2014, Pisa, Italy.
- Attended NAACL 2015, Denver, Colorado. Presented at co-located SSST-9 and VSM–NLP.
- Published at ACL 2015, Beijing, China.
- Attended ACL 2016, Berlin, Germany. Presented at co-located REPL4NLP.
- Attended EMNLP 2017, Copenhagen, Denmark. Presented at the main conference and co-located WMT-17.
- Attended IJCNLP 2017, Taipei, Taiwan. Presented at the main conference.
- Attended ACL 2018, Melbourne, Australia. Presented at co-located DeepLo 2018.
- Assistant teacher in the Advanced Programming course of Laurea magistrale (Master's degree) in Computer science and networks at University of Pisa (Italy) (main teacher: Professor Giuseppe Attardi), 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. My responsibilities consisted in lecturing for approximately twenty hours per year and assisting the main teacher with grading programming assignment in Java, C++ and C# and administering oral exams.
- Proficient: Python (including Numpy/Scipy and Theano), Java, C/C++, Matlab/Octave. I used these languages to develop NLP and Machine Learning code for my research activity.
- Familiar: C#, F#, Scheme.