I am now a third-year Ph.D. student at the University of Edinburgh, where I work at ICSA within the School of Informatics. I work with Dr. Paul Patras on deep learning-driven mobile network analysis and management. My CV is available here.
Before that, I obtained MSc Artificial Intelligence degree at the University of Edinburgh,
with focus on machine learning. I also obtained a bachelor's degree from the School of Electronic Information and Commucations at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China.
I am interested in applying deep learning techniques to problems in the computer networking domain, including traffic analysis, resource allocation and network control. In the past, I have worked on computer vision and energy disaggregation problems.
- 2016 - 2020 (expected): Ph.D. Candidate at the Institute for Computing Systems Architecture (ICSA), School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK.
Primary Supervisor: Dr. Paul Patras. Secondary Supervisor: Dr. Rik Sarkar.
- 2015 - 2016: MSc Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, UK, with distinction.
- 2011- 2015: BEng Telecommunication Engineering at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China.
Award and Honours
- 2018 MobiHoc 2018 Student Travel Grant, University of Edinburgh.
- 2017 Outstanding MSc Dissertation, University of Edinburgh.
- 2016 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship, University of Edinburgh.
- 2015 Outstanding thesis, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
- Nov. 2014 - Jul. 2015: Research Assistant, Signal Processing and Information Networking in Communication (SINC) Lab, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
Researched on deep learning, with applications to image classification and mobile data analysis.
- Apr. - Jun. 2015: Intern, TipDM Intelligent Technology, Wuhan, China.
Responsible for severs configuration; participated in the leaves classification project using deep convolutional neural networks.
- Jul. - Aug. 2014: Intern, Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment, Shenzhen, China.
Responsible for systematic test of Android SetTop Boxes.
- Jul. - Aug. 2012: Intern, Sealed Air Corporation, Foshan, China.
Responsible for sales data processing.
Publications & Drafts
- Chaoyun Zhang, Rui Li, Woojin Kim, Daesub Yoon and Paul Patras,
Driver Behavior Recognition via Interwoven Deep Convolutional Neural Nets with Multi-stream Inputs, Draft, Nov. 2018.
- Xi Ouyang, Shuangjie Xu, Chaoyun Zhang, Pan Zhou, Yang Yang, Guanghui Liu, Xuelong Li,
A 3D-CNN and LSTM based Multi-task Learning Architecture for Action Recognition, To appear IEEE Access, 2019.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Paul Patras and Hamed Haddadi,
Deep Learning in Mobile and Wireless Networking: A Survey, To appear IEEE Communication Survey and Tutorial, 2019.
- Rui Li, Chaoyun Zhang, R. Stanica, F. Valois and Paul Patras, Learning Driven Mobility Control of Airborne Base Stations in Emergency Networks, in Proceedings of Workshop on AI in Networks (WAIN), collocated with IFIP WG PERFORMANCE, Toulouse, France, Dec. 2018
- Rui Li, Chaoyun Zhang, Paul Patras, Pan Cao, J. S. Thompson, DELMU: A Deep Learning Approach to Maximising the Utility of Virtualised Millimetre-Wave Backhaul, in Proceedings of International Conference on Machine Learning for Networking (MLN), Paris, France, November 2018. (Best student paper award)
- Chaoyun Zhang, Paul Patras,
Long-Term Mobile Traffic Forecasting Using Deep Spatio-Temporal Neural Networks ACM MobiHoc, USA, Jun. 2018.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Mingjun Zhong, Zongzuo Wang, Nigel Goddard, Charles Sutton,
Sequence-to-point learning with neural networks for non-intrusive load monitoring, AAAI, USA, Feb. 2018.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Xi Ouyang and Paul Patras, ZipNet-GAN: Inferring Fine-grained Mobile Traffic Patterns via a Generative Adversarial Neural Network, ACM CoNEXT, South Korea, Dec. 2017.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Pan Zhou, Chenghua Li and Lijun Liu, A Convolutional Neural Network for Leaves Recognition Using Data Augmentation,
IEEE PICOM, Liverpool, UK, Oct. 2015.
- Office 2.49, Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton St, Edinburgh