I am now a second-year Ph.D. student at the University of Edinburgh, where I work at ICSA within the School of Informatics. I work with Dr. Paul Patras on deep learning-driven mobile network analysis and management. My CV is available here.
Before that, I obtained MSc Artificial Intelligence degree at the University of Edinburgh,
with focus on machine learning. I also obtained a bachelor's degree from the School of Electronic Information and Commucations at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China.
I am interested in applying deep learning techniques to problems in the computer networking domain, including traffic analysis, resource allocation and network control. In the past, I have worked on computer vision and energy disaggregation problems.
- 2016 - 2020 (expected): Ph.D. Candidate at the Institute for Computing Systems Architecture (ICSA), School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK.
Primary Supervisor: Dr. Paul Patras. Secondary Supervisor: Dr. Rik Sarkar.
- 2015 - 2016: MSc Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, UK, with distinction.
- 2011- 2015: BEng Telecommunication Engineering at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China.
Award and Honours
- 2017 Outstanding MSc Dissertation, University of Edinburgh.
- 2016 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship, University of Edinburgh.
- 2015 Outstanding thesis, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
- Nov. 2014 - Jul. 2015: Research Assistant, Signal Processing and Information Networking in Communication (SINC) Lab, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
Researched on deep learning, with applications to image classification and mobile data analysis.
- Apr. - Jun. 2015: Intern, TipDM Intelligent Technology, Wuhan, China.
Responsible for severs configuration; participated in the leaves classification project using deep convolutional neural networks.
- Jul. - Aug. 2014: Intern, Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment, Shenzhen, China.
Responsible for systematic test of Android SetTop Boxes.
- Jul. - Aug. 2012: Intern, Sealed Air Corporation, Foshan, China.
Responsible for sales data processing.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Mingjun Zhong, Zongzuo Wang, Nigel Goddard, Charles Sutton,
Sequence-to-point learning with neural networks for non-intrusive load monitoring, to appear in AAAI, USA, Feb. 2018.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Xi Ouyang and Paul Patras, ZipNet-GAN: Inferring Fine-grained Mobile Traffic Patterns via a Generative Adversarial Neural Network, to appear in ACM CoNEXT, South Korea, Dec. 2017.
- Chaoyun Zhang, Pan Zhou, Chenghua Li and Lijun Liu, A Convolutional Neural Network for Leaves Recognition Using Data Augmentation,
IEEE PICOM, Liverpool, UK, Oct. 2015.
- Office 2.49, Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton St, Edinburgh