Antonio Valerio Miceli Barone
Back to homepage
- First name: Antonio Valerio
- Last name: Miceli Barone
- Birth place and year: Palermo, Italy. 1982.
- Nationality: Italian
- Languages: Italian (native), English (proficient)
- Research associate (post-doc) at the University of Edinburgh (UK).
- Working on the UKRI Research Node on Trustworthy Autonomous Systems Governance and Regulation TAS Governance Node with Prof. Subramanian Ramamoorthy and Prof. Alex Lascarides 02/2023 - present
- Worked on European Space Agency IOA project with Dr. Shay Cohen 09/2022 - 01/2023
- I work on the Broadsem (with Dr. Ivan Titov) and Transmodal (with Prof. Mirella Lapata) grants 10/2021 - 08/2022.
- I worked on the Horizon 2020 projects TraMOOC (Translation for Massive Open Online Courses), QT21 (Quality Translation 21), Gourmet project, and IARPA MATERIAL project. 04/2016 - 09/2021.
- I've received additional funding from industry collaborations with Samsung and Booking.com.
- Laurea triennale (Bachelor's degree) in Computer Engineering from Università di Palermo (Italy) with a score of 110/110 cum laude, defending a thesis titled: "Implementation of a neural digital system for sequence recognition based on flash memory devices", under the supervision of Professor Antonio Chella (Università di Palermo) and Giuseppe Compagno (STMicroeletronics), 12/07/2004.
- Laurea specialistica (Master's degree) in Computer Engineering for Intelligent Systems from Università di Palermo (Italy) with a score of 110/110 cum laude, defending a thesis titled: "Quantum random walks to graph search", under the supervision of Professor Michelangelo Zarcone and Professor G. Massimo Palma (Università di Palermo), 21/07/2009.
- PhD in Computer Science from Università di Pisa (Italy), defending a thesis titled: "Syntax-based machine translation using dependency grammars and discriminative machine learning", under the supervision of Professor Giuseppe Attardi (Università di Pisa), 23/06/2015.
- SFM-10:QAPL "10th International School on Formal Methods for the Design of Computer, Communication and Software Systems: Quantitative Aspects of Programming Languages", Bertinoro (Italy), 21-26/06/2010.
- Sixth Machine Translation Marathon, Trent (Italy), 05-10/09/2011.
- Recipient of a grant from CNR (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, National Research Council) for the compilation of my Master's degree thesis, within the "Specialization Programme for Young Researchers in the field of Information and Communications Technology", 18/10/2006 – 19/04/2007.
- Recipient of a research grant from Università di Pisa, co-founded by Regione Toscana "Machine Reading s.s.d INF/01 – Informatica – (cod. 1a)", 05/12/2012 – 31/07/2013.
International conferences and workshops
- Attended European Robotics Symposium 2006, Palermo, Italy.
- Attended ACL HLT 2011, Portland, Oregon. Presented at co-located SSST-5.
- Attended EACL 2012, Avignon, France. Presented at co-located ROBUS-UNSUP-12.
- Attended BICA 2012, Palermo, Italy.
- Attended ACL 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria. Presented at co-located WMT-13.
- Attended AI*IA 2014, Pisa, Italy.
- Attended NAACL 2015, Denver, Colorado. Presented at co-located SSST-9 and VSM–NLP.
- Published at ACL 2015, Beijing, China.
- Attended ACL 2016, Berlin, Germany. Presented at co-located REPL4NLP.
- Attended EMNLP 2017, Copenhagen, Denmark. Presented at the main conference and co-located WMT-17.
- Attended IJCNLP 2017, Taipei, Taiwan. Presented at the main conference.
- Attended ACL 2018, Melbourne, Australia. Presented at co-located DeepLo 2018.
- Attended ACL 2019, Florence, Italy. Presented at co-located WMT19.
- Attended RANNLP 2019, Varna, Bulgaria. Presented an invited tutorial on Neural Machine Translation.
- Published at IWSLT 2019, Hong Kong, China.
- Published at WMT-20 (online conference associated with EMNLP 2020)
- Attended online EMNLP 2021, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Published at co-located WMT-21
- Attended ACL 2022, Dublin, Ireland. Presented at co-located RepL4NLP
- Presented at ACL 2023, Toronto, Canada. Also presented at co-located RepL4NLP
- Assistant teacher for the Advanced Programming course of Laurea magistrale (Master's degree) in Computer science and networks at University of Pisa (Italy) (main teacher: Professor Giuseppe Attardi), 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. My responsibilities consisted in lecturing for approximately twenty hours per year and assisting the main teacher with grading programming assignment in Java, C++ and C# and administering oral exams. 2011.
- MSc. dissertation supervisor of 6 students. 2018-present.
- taught two PhD courses on Introduction to Deep Learning and Deep Learning for Natural Language Processing at the University of Zürich 2020.
- During my work as a research associate I collaborated with industry partners such as Videolectures.net, Samsung Electronics and Booking.com, carrying out research relevant to their business applications and assisting them in implementing the results of my research on their production systems.
- Proficient: Python (including Numpy/Scipy, Tensorflow and Pytorch), Java, C/C++, Matlab/Octave. I used these languages to develop NLP and Machine Learning code for my research activity.
- Familiar: C#, F#, Scheme.