I’m a Professor in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh and a Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute. At Edinburgh, I have served as the Director of Institute for Computing Systems Architecture (one of the six research institutes within Informatics) between August 2018 and July 2022. Before joining Edinburgh, I had a two-year postdoctoral stint at the UCLA Computer Science Department in the Mobile Systems Laboratory headed by Prof. Rajive Bagrodia. I earned my PhD in Computer Science in 2004 from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, where my advisor was Prof. Samir Das. I have previously held visiting researcher positions at ETH Zurich and at Ofcom London. I’m a Distinguished Member of the ACM and a Senior Member of the IEEE.
My research is in the area of networked systems with a focus on wireless networks and mobile/edge systems. My current research interests also include cloud service assurance, edge computing, sustainable computing and networking, machine learning systems and quantum systems. My recent research has been on the following topics:
Within Informatics@Edinburgh, I'm part of the Networked Systems (NetSys) Group, the Security, Privacy and Trust Group and the Quantum Informatics Group.
- Software-oriented mobile networking systems
- Data-driven networking
- Network data synthesis via deep generative models
- Network automation and optimization through tailored data-driven and machine learning techniques
- Efficient spectrum manangement systems and algorithms
- Mobile context sensing and device-centric network monitoring
- Cellular IoT systems and algorithms
(Google Scholar, DBLP)
Current PhD Students
- Chuanhao Sun
- Jon Larrea
- Leyang Xue
- Andrew Ferguson
- Ujjwal Pawar
Graduated PhD Students
- Giacomo Bernardi (now a Principal Engineer at Amazon AWS)
- Sofia Pediaditaki (now at Intel)
- Arsham Farshad (now at BT Research)
- Lito Kriara (now at Roche)
- Valentin Radu (now at the University of Sheffield)
- Saravana Manickam (now running an IoT startup)
- Xenofon Foukas (now at Microsoft Research, Cambridge)
- Mahrukh Fida (now a Postdoctoral Fellow at Simula Research Laboratory)
- Galini Tsoukaneri (now at Samsung Research UK)
- Mohamed Kassem (now at University of Surrey / Edinburgh)
- Rajkarn Singh (now at Huawei Edinburgh Research Centre)
- Postdoc Position
- PhD Opportunities: Interested applicants should e-mail me with their CV.
I am involved in teaching the following courses:
- UG4/MSc Computer Networking (CN)
- UG3 Computer Communications and Networks (COMN)
Professional Service (recent/selected)
- Program Committee Member: ACM MobiCom ('24, '23, '22, ..), IEEE INFOCOM ('24, '23, '22, ..)
- Guest Editor, IEEE Internet Computing Special Issue on 6G Technologies and Applications, Mar/Apr 2024.
- ACM Heidelberg Laureate Forum (HLF) Young Researcher Selection Committee Member, 2020 - Present.
- Organising Committee Member (2018 - present), MobiUK
- Co-Founder and Steering Committee Member (till 2013), ACM MobiCom WiNTECH Workshop
- Co-Founder and Organising Committee Member (till 2014), SCONE (SCOttish Networking Event)