Juggling in Edinburgh
A list of where to juggle in Edinburgh, last updated 2017-04-14. Most of these clubs are open to all, including complete beginners. Except where noted, you will be welcome if you drop in unannounced at any time. Many people will be pre-occupied practicing, so don’t worry if you’re not noticed. Just introduce yourself to someone who seems least occupied.
- Tollcross state circus (Facebook). Juggling and acrobalance club. Mondays 7–9pm at Tollcross Community Centre on Fountainbridge. In practice we can start shortly after 6:45pm, once the Yoga class before us has cleared out. Organized by gandolf (att) juggler.net. £1/£2. Does meet on bank holidays. There are usually only three days off a year: Easter Monday, the week of Christmas, and the Monday after that. Directions: enter this gate, go straight ahead and into the next courtyard. The Tollcross Community Centre entrance is on the right. Once inside turn left down the corridor, through some doors and find the main Tollcross Primary School hall.
- The University of Edinburgh juggling club (Facebook, website).
Wednesdays 6–8pm in the Potterrow Dome. You can show up and leave at any time during any session. £1/semester. Probably stops for the Summer some time in May. Check Facebook.
- Monday meadows fire (web, Facebook). They meet by the pavilion on The Meadows near where Coronation Walk and Jawbone Walk meet. It’s on most Mondays, weather permitting, from around 9pm, or later in Summer. Free, unless paying to use someone else’s fuel.
- CircuSkool (web, Facebook). Currently not running. Expected to return Sundays 7–9pm in Autumn 2017. Although there will be some sort of event on 7 May. Check the Facebook page for updates and more information. The website has often been out of date. CircuSkool returned to the Out of the Blue drill hall, 36 Dalmeny Street, from Oct 2016.
- Edinburgh Hoop Jams (Facebook): a Facebook group for irregular (Hula-)hooping meetups, classes, and workshops.
- Acro training: I don’t do any acrobatic stuff. Someone who does has a Facebook group, Acro Edinburgh, summarizing the options.
- Juggler’s corner (map). On nice summer days, you’ll sometimes find jugglers on “the meadows” (a park), between where Jawbone Walk meets Middle Meadow Walk.
This list is maintained by an individual juggler. I don’t run any of the clubs, I just wanted to make them easier to find.
If you want to get some juggling stuff of your own to practice with, there’s a juggling shop in Edinburgh: Cascade Juggling, 52 Clerk Street.
Hobby jugglers don’t necessarily perform, and I don’t. If you’re looking for a performer, please email someone else, perhaps a club organizer. If you want a job doing (performance or training), hire a professional. Professional circus performers or trainers in Edinburgh include: Analogue Acrobatics, Circus Alba, PyroCeltica, Suspended Motion, and Voice Box Theatre.