Diego is originally from Valdivia in southern Chile. He is currently Reader in Computational Biology at the University of Edinburgh, with a joint appointment between the School of Informatics and the School of Biological Sciences. Diego is a Fellow of the Alan Turing Institute.
He obtained a BSc and MSc in Control Theory and Electronic Engineering from U Santa María in Valparaiso, Chile, and a PhD from the Hamilton Institute, Ireland. He was a Research Fellow in Biomathematics at Imperial College London (2013-2018). He is part of programme committees of several international conferences and referee for 20+ scientific journals and various funding bodies. He has a number of relevant roles:
- Programme Director for the Cross-Disciplinary Fellowship (XDF) at the Institute for Genetics and Cancer.
- Deputy Director of the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Biomedical AI.
- Co-lead of the Science for Sustainability Hub at the University of Edinburgh.
- Member of the Research Group of the Bayes Centre for Data Science and AI.
- Associate Editor for Microbial Cell Factories and Frontiers in Synthetic Biology.