Ways to view DjVu files
Various free software for viewing DjVu files is available (note some platforms have more than one alternative). The web-browser plugin and standalone viewers are stable and blindingly fast.
There is a java applet for viewing files without installing an additional plugin, but this is a bit clunky and java plugins often give me problems.
I usually prefer PDF for printing and DjVu for online viewing. I recommend DjVu all the way for scanned documents, but none of my publications are.
Ways to view PDFs
PDF files are viewable in many ways. Google’s document viewer is a plugin-free way to quickly check a pdf document on the web. I have added GoogleViewer links for all of my publications. If you want, you can add a GoogleViewer icon to the end of PDFs on all websites.
- xpdf and derivatives (perhaps using poppler)
- ghostview/gsview and derivatives
- an online conversion service
- Windows only: Sumatrapdf (based on MuPDF and poppler)
Finally not a viewer, but amazingly useful, pdftk lets you split, merge and maintain PDF files in various ways.
- Adobe Reader, although that might be a bad idea.
- Foxit Reader, apparently now bundled with adware? Maybe best avoided.
- Apple Preview
- jpedal Java viewer and stuff (also open source version, but with worse feature set.)