Reader (Associate Professor)
School of Informatics
The University of Edinburgh
I am a faculty member at the Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC), part of the School of Informatics, the Univeristy of Edinburgh. I am also a faculty fellow at The Alan Turing Institute. My main expertise is in computational social science, data mining, and natural language processing. I hold my PhD degree from the
School of Computing, Dublin City University (DCU). I have large industrial background from working earlier for Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI), Microsoft, and IBM.
I am the founder and director of the Social Media Analysis and Support for Humanity (SMASH) group at the University of Edinburgh.
Computational Social Science
Social content analysis, political bias detection, and users' behavior analysis/prediction
Text mining, classification, sentiment analysis, sarcasm detection ... etc.
Natural Language Processing
Arabic NLP tasks
Information Retrieval (former interest)
Information filtering, social search, patent search, evaluation metrics, Arabic IR, and cross-language IR (CLIR)
Editor for journal: Springer
Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM).
Co-organizer of the following shared tasks:
- CLEF-IP (Patent retrieval) task 2012.
- SemEval-2015 Task 3: Answer Selection in Community Question Answering.
- SemEval-2016 Task 3: Community Question Answering.
- OSACT4-2020 Shared Task: Arabic offensive language detection.
- SemEval-2021 Task 7: Hahackathon: Incorporating Demographic Factors into Shared Humor Tasks.
- WANLP-2021 Shared Task 2: Sarcasm and Sentiment Detection In Arabic.
- SemEval-2022 Task 6: iSarcasmEval - Intended Sarcasm Detection in English and Arabic.
Co-organizer the following workshops:
- 2nd Workshop on Arabic Corpora and Processing Tools, @LREC 2016
- 3rd Workshop on Arabic Corpora and Processing Tools, @LREC 2018
- BroDyn: Analysis of Broad Dynamic Topics over Social Media, @ECIR 2018
- WANLP 2019: The Fourth Arabic Natural Language Processing Workshop, @ACL 2019
- 4th Workshop on Arabic Corpora and Processing Tools, @LREC 2020
- WANLP 2021: The Sixth Arabic Natural Language Processing Workshop, @EACL 2021
- Possible Directions for Building a Career in Data Science, Cairo University, Egypt, Dec 2017. Tutorial Link
- Possible Directions for Building a Career in Data Science, Alexandria University, Egypt, Dec 2018. Tutorial Link
- Detection and Characterization of Stance on Social Media, ICWSM, Jun 2020. Tutorial Link
Reviewer in journals: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), Communications of the ACM, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (TIFS), Elsevier IP&M, Elsevier Information Systems, Elsevier Expert Systems, Elsevier Telecommunication and Informatics, Elsevier World Patent Information, Elsevier Computer Speech & Language, Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Springer IR Journal, AI Communications, Computational Linguistics, WWW Journal, Applied Computing & Informatics, Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM), Online Information Review Journal, Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare.
PC member / reviewer in conferences (* indicates AC or SPC):
2011: CIKM, IJCNLP.
2013: CLEF, IRFC, SIGIR.
2014: CLEF, IRFC, SIGIR.
2015: CIKM, ECIR, ICWSM, KDIR, SIGIR.
2016: CIKM, CSCW, ECIR, EMNLP, ICWSM, HCMOP, SIGIR.
2017: EACL, ECIR, ICWSM, SIGIR, WWW.
2018: CIKM, CSCW, ECIR, EMNLP, HICSS51, ICNLSP, ICWSM, SDCS, WWW.
2019: ACL, CHI, CSCW, ECIR, EMNLP, HT, ICWSM, SocInfo*, WebSci.
2020: AAAI, ACL*, CHI, CIKM, ECIR, HT, ICWSM, LREC, SocInfo*, WebSci.
2021: AAAI, CSCW*, ECIR, ICWSM, ...
Over 100 peer-reviewed published papers. Check my full list of publications here
Nine patents filed under my name while working for IBM, Microsoft, DCU, and QCRI. Check my list of patents here
The list of news artciles published on some of my work could be found here
Email: (wmagdy) at inf dot ed dot ac dot uk
10 Crichton Street
Informatics Forum 3.12A
Edinburgh EH8 9AB
Phone: +44 (0) 131 651 5612
[ Home | Publications |
Patents | Media Attention]
Last Modified: Aug 2021