We are always looking for talented students and postdocs interested in the interface of mathematics, engineering and life sciences. We seek creative people keen to join a diverse and multidisciplinary team.
As part of our group you will benefit from first-class mentoring and opportunities for career development. As a team we place a strong emphasis on learning, collaboration, and wide dissemination of our science.
Some of our projects focus on theoretical tools for biological problems, and others combine theory and experiments in collaboration with our partner wetlabs. Depending of the specific question at hand, we employ a broad range of mathematical tools like machine learning, control theory, dynamical systems, stochastic analysis, complex networks, and optimization theory.
If you are interested in PhD or Postdoc research with us, please e-mail Diego including your CV, a brief statement of research interests, and the names of two referees.
There are many ways you can join us:
- Several funding streams for PhD students :
- University scholarships such as Edinburgh Global, Principal’s Scholarships and China Scholarships.
- Local funding funding from the School of Informatics or from the (Darwin Trust at the School of Biological Sciences.
- Funding from Centres for Doctoral Training: Biomedical AI and Mathematical Modelling, Analysis and Computation (MAC-MIGS).
- National Scholarships from your country of origin.
- There are various options for postdocs:
- We often have funds for postdoctoral researchers from specific project grants. These will be advertised in our website when available.
- We can support excellent candidates who wish to apply for external fellowships, including EPSRC Fellowships, Marie Curie, Newton Fellowships, 1851 Fellowships, HFSP Fellowships, etc. Please bear in mind that these schemes are extremely competitive, so first get in touch with us to discuss a prospective application.
- XDF Cross-Disciplinary Fellowship (XDF). This is jointly run by the School of Informatics and the IGMM at Edinburgh.
- We also offer projects in MSc programmes across the University:
- MSc in Data Science, at the School of Informatics.
- MSc in Systems & Synthetic Biology, Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, at the School of Biological Sciences.
- MSc in Computational and Applied Mathematics, at the School of Mathematics.