Diego is originally from Valdivia in southern Chile. He obtained a BSc and MSc in Control Theory and Electronic Engineering from U Santa María in Valparaiso, Chile, and a PhD from the Hamilton Institute, Ireland.
He was a Research Fellow in Biomathematics at Imperial College London (2013-2018) and currently holds a joint appointment between the School of Informatics and the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Edinburgh. He is part of programme committees of several international conferences and referee for over 20 scientific journals. He also has a number of relevant roles:
- Programme Director for the Cross-Disciplinary Fellowship (XDF) at the MRC Institute of Genetics & Molecular Medicine.
- Executive Board member of the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Biomedical AI.
- Co-lead of the Science for Sustainability initiative at the University of Edinburgh.
- Member of the Research Group of the Bayes Centre for Data Science and AI.
- Associate Editor for Microbial Cell Factories.
- Associate Editor for Frontiers in Synthetic Biology.
- Scientific Advisor at the World Economic Forum Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
- Honorary Lecturer at the Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London.