Who I am
I am a Royal Society
Research Fellow and Reader in the Laboratory for Foundations
of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh,
working in the areas of databases and programming languages.
From September 2004 until October 2008 I was a postdoctoral research associate in the Database Group. I have also been involved with the Digital Curation Centre and during 2008-2009 I organized a Theme Program on Principles of Provenance for the eScience Institute.
I earned my PhD in Computer
Science at Cornell University in August 2004.
From January to May 2003 I visited Cambridge
University's Computer Laboratory.
In the summer of 2001 I worked at Intertrust
on a summer internship. I have a BS in Computer Science and Mathematics (May 1998) and
MS in Mathematics (August 1998) from Carnegie Mellon University.
Before that I lived in Wisconsin, land of cheese.
I maintain a research blog, which is updated sporadically.
My research interests include:
- Databases and data provenance
- Programming languages and compilers
- Generic programming
- Logic and automated theorem proving
- Compression and information theory
- XML and related technologies
Current research group
- A Diagnostics Approach to Advanced Persistent Threat
Prevention (ADAPT), in collaboration with Galois, Inc., Xerox
PARC, and Oregon State University, funded by DARPA's
Transparent Computing research program
- Foundations of Language-Integrated
Query, including work on language-integrated
provenance funded by a Google Research Award
- A Theory of Least Change for Bidirectional Transformations
(EPSRC), in collaboration with Perdita Stevens,
and James McKinna (Edinburgh) and Jeremy Gibbons (Oxford)
- Provenance for configuration language security (Microsoft
Research), in collaboration with Paul Anderson (Edinburgh) and Dimitrios
- DIACHRON: Provenance and archiving for Linked Data (EU
- Language-based provenance security (AFOSR EOARD)
- Mechanized metatheory using Nominal Logic Programming (AlphaProlog), funded by the Royal Society
jcheney at inf dot ed dot ac dot uk
07891 708 737 (M)
0131 651 5658 (O)
||Informatics Forum 5.29
Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science
School of Informatics
10 Crichton Street