I am a Reader (Associate Professor) and Chancellor's Fellow in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh and a member of the Institute for Computing Systems Architecture (ICSA). I lead the Mobile Intelligence Lab and the Informatics Internet of Things research programme. I am also affiliated to the Security & Privacy group. Before joining Edinburgh, I was a research fellow at the Hamilton Institute of the National University of Ireland, Maynooth. Between 2007–2011 I was a research assistant at IMDEA Networks (Madrid Institute for Advanced Studies in Networks). I held visiting research positions at the University of Brescia (2017, 2015), Northeastern University (2016), Technical University Darmstadt (2016), and Rice University (2010).
My research seeks to bridge the gap between fundamental mathematical models and real-world applications of networked systems. I focus on problems related to artificial intelligence in mobile networks, traffic analytics, performance optimisation, security and privacy, prototyping and test beds.
My CV is available here.
- 24 March, 2020 – Speaking at AI UK organised by the Alan Turing Institute.
- 20 February, 2020 – Speaking about IoT security at Scot-Secure 2020.
- 18 December, 2019 – Our survey on deep learning in mobile networking is on the 4th position in the IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials popularity chart!
- 29 November, 2019 – Guest editing a Special Issues on "AI in Mobile Networks" for MDPI Applied Sciences. Submission deadline: 31 May, 2020.
- 6 November, 2019 – Speaking at the SCOttish Networking Event (SCONE) in St Andrews.
- 18 October, 2019 – Honoured to give the 2019 Ian Dangerfield Lecture at the Hamilton Institute, Ireland.
- 2-3 September, 2019 – Lecturing at the Summer School on Machine Learning for Communication Systems and Networks hosted by Trinity College Dublin.
- 9 July, 2019 – Presenting our paper "Multi-Service Mobile Traffic Forecasting via Convolutional Long Short-Term Memories" in Special Session #1: Measurements for networking: Traffic monitoring and Performance analysis at IEEE M&N 2019.
Our security and privacy investigation of the Belkin WeMo ecosystem featured in The National, The Herald, Phys.org, Technology.org, ECN Mag, tekk.tv, qianjia.com, The Edinburgh Reporter, Edinburgh Live, Scottish Construction Now, Scottish Housing News. Forth Radio also ran a short interview with me about this work.
Our research on the vulnerabilities of fitness trackers featured in The Times, The Telegraph, International Business Times, Huffington Post, New York Post, The Scotsman, STV News, Yorkshire Post, The Northern Echo, Channel News, Market Watch, SC Magazine, The Inquirer, CORDIS News, Homeland Security News Wire, China Press, Xinhua News, China Industrial Control Network, Shenzhen News Network, Photoelectric News Network, Hong Kong News, Indo-Asian News Service, The Economic Times, The Hindu, Businessworld India, The New Indian Express, The Pioneer, domain-b.com, HackRead, Techworm, V3, texnologia.net, Gears of Biz, Infosecurity Magazine, Third Age, Phys.org, ECN Mag, Digtial Journal, Gadgets & Wearables, DIGIT, EurekAlert!. The BBC Radio 4 Extra's Newsjack show mentioned us in their satire on fitness tracking (season 17, episode 2). I also gave an interview about our research to BBC Radio Scotland for the Newsdrive show (12/04/2019).
Our survey of deep learning in mobile and wireless networks has been picked up by Chinese media and was covered in The Heart of the Machine, Trencent, NetEase, SINA, and Sohu.com.
- M. Cominelli, P. Patras, F. Gringoli, "Dead on Arrival: An Empirical Study of The Bluetooth 5.1 Positioning System", ACM WiNTECH 2019.
- C. Zhang, M. Fiore, P. Patras, "Multi-Service Mobile Traffic Forecasting via Convolutional Long Short-Term Memories", IEEE M&N 2019.
- R. Li, P. Patras, "Max-Min Fair Resource Allocation in Millimetre-Wave Backhauls ", IEEE Trans. Mobile Comp., 2019.
- C. Zhang, P. Patras, H. Haddadi, "Deep Learning in Mobile and Wireless Networking: A Survey", IEEE Comm. Surveys & Tutorials, 2019.
- A. Garcia-Saavedra, P. Patras, V. Valls, X. Costa-Perez, D. J. Leith "ORLA/OLAA: Orthogonal Coexistence of LAA and WiFi in Unlicensed Spectrum", IEEE Trans. Netw., Dec. 2018.
- R. Li, C. Zhang, P. Cao, P. Patras, J. S. Thompson, "DELMU: A Deep Learning Approach to Maximising the Utility of Virtualised Millimetre-Wave Backhauls", Machine Learning for Networking (MLN) 2018. Best student paper award.
- F. Gringoli, P. Patras, C. Donato, P. Serrano, Y. Grunenberger, "Performance Assessment of Open Software Platforms for 5G Prototyping" IEEE Wireless Comms, Oct. 2018.
- J. Classen, D. Wegemer, P. Patras, T. Spink, and M. Hollick, "Anatomy of a Vulnerable Fitness Tracking System: Dissecting the Fitbit Cloud, App, and Firmware", ACM IMWUT, Mar. 2018.
- C. Zhang, P. Patras, "Long-Term Mobile Traffic Forecasting Using Deep Spatio-Temporal Neural Networks", ACM MobiHoc 2018.
Full list of publications available here.
Conferences and Workshops I am currently involved with
- UK Systems 2020 - The Fifth Annual UK System Research Challenges Workshop (17-19 March 2020, Newton Aycliffe, UK)
- WCNC 2020 - The IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (6-9 April 2020, Seoul, South Korea)
- TMA 2020 - the 4thNetwork Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference (10-12 June 2020, Berlin, Germany)
- WoWMoM 2020 - The 21st IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (15-18 June, 2020, Cork, Ireland)
- SECON 2020 - The 17th IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (22-26 June 2020, Como, Italy.)
- MobiUK 2020 - The Third UK Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Systems Research Symposium (6-7 July 2020, London, UK)
- ISWCS 2020 - The 17th International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (31 August - 2 September 2020, Berlin, Germany).
- EuroSys 2021 - The European Conference on Computer Systems (25-28 April 2021, Edinburgh, UK).
Full list of scholarly activities available here.
- Aboubacar Diallo (Ph.D.), The University of Edinburgh, 2023 (expected).
- Yini Fang (Ph.D.), The University of Edinburgh, 2023 (expected).
- Haoyu Liu (Ph.D.), The University of Edinburgh, 2023 (expected).
- Chaoyun Zhang (Ph.D.), The University of Edinburgh, 2020 (expected).
- Rui Li (Ph.D.), The University of Edinburgh, 2019. (now at Samsung AI)
- Sivaprakash Senapathi (M.Res.), The University of Edinburgh (co-supervised with Mahesh Marina), 2015. (now at J.P. Morgan)
- Stephen Waddell, University of Edinburgh, June–Aug 2019.
- Marco Cominelli, University of Brescia, July–Dec. 2018
- Adela Rotar, University of Edinburgh, May–July 2018.
- Haoyu Liu, University of Edinburgh, June–Sept. 2018.
- Ayush Bhardwaj, IIT Roorkee, June–Aug. 2018.
- Daniel Licciardello, University of Catania, Mar. 2016–May 2016.
- Chiara Capretti, University of Brescia, Sept. 2015–Dec. 2015.
- Nicolo Facchi, University of Brescia, Sept. 2014–Feb. 2015.
Students interested in undertaking a PhD under my supervision may find this advice helpful.
- Spring 2020, Spring 2019, Spring 2018 – INFR11146: Internet of Things Systems, Security and the Cloud (IoTSSC)
- 2019-20 – INFR10077: Computing in the Classroom (w/ Judy Robertson)
- Fall 2016, Fall 2015, Fall 2014 – INFR09044/INFR09040: Computer Science Large Practical
- Fall 2015 – INFR09041: Undergraduate Research Practical
- Spring 2013 – EE402: Computer & Communications Networks (National University of Ireland Maynooth)
- Spring 2008, Spring 2009 – Network Infrastructure (University Carlos III of Madrid)
- Thoughts on science and technology I (occasionally) share on my blog.
- Topics I follow and questions I answer(ed) on Quora.
- Code I authored (a while ago) available on GitHub.
- Random things I (re)tweet.
- My photos on Flickr and 500px.
- (Some of the) music I listen(ed) to.
- If you are into chess, you can challenge me on gameknot.