I am a Chancellor's Fellow and Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh and a member of the Institute for Computing Systems Architecture (ICSA). I am also affiliated to the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Pervasive Parallelism and the Informatics Security & Privacy group. Previously, I was a research fellow at the Hamilton Institute of the National University of Ireland, Maynooth. Between 2007–2011 I was a research assistant at IMDEA Networks (Madrid Institute for Advanced Studies in Networks) and in 2010 I was a visiting researcher in the Networks Group at Rice University, Houston, USA.
My research seeks to bridge the gap between fundamental mathematical models and real-world applications of computer networks. I focus on problems related to performance optimisation in wireless networks, network protocols and architectures, prototyping and test beds.
My CV is available here.
- 19 July - 19 August, 2016 – Visiting the College of Computer and Information Science at Northeastern University.
- 22 July, 2016 – Experimental work on LTE/WiFi co-existence with collaborators at U. Brescia accepted for publication in the proceedings of ACM WiNTECH.
- 21 July, 2016 – Invited talk on maximising the utility of multi-rate Wi-Fi and how to police MAC Misbehaviours, at Boston University.
- 20 July, 2016 – Talked about tackling performance anomaly in multi-rate Wi-Fi at MIT's Research Laboratory of Electronics.
- 28 June, 2016 – Seminar on efficient Wi-Fi, wireless for underdeveloped regions, and mmWave networking – part of the ICSA colloquium series at Edinburgh.
- 23 May - 17 June, 2016 – Vist at the Secure Mobile Networking Lab (SEEMOO) at TU Darmstadt.
Conferences and workshops I am currently involved with:
- IEEE VTC 2016-Fall - The 84th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (18-21 Sept. 2016, Montréal, Canada).
- ACM WiNTECH 2016 - The 10th ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental Evaluation & Characterization (3 October 2016, New York, USA), co-located with ACM MobiCom.
- IEEE VTC 2017-Spring - The 85th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (4-7 June, 2017, Sydney, Australia).
Copyright Notice: This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Permission to make digital or hard copies of part or all of this work for personal or classroom use is permitted provided that copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. The documents may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
- P. Patras, H. Feghhi, D. Malone, D. Leith, "Policing 802.11 MAC Misbehaviours", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, in press, Sept. 2015, DOI: 10.1109/TMC.2015.2478436. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, A. Garcia-Saavedra, D. Malone, D. Leith, "Rigorous and Practical Proportional-fair Allocation for Multi-rate Wi-Fi", Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 36, Part 1, pp. 21–34, Jan. 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.adhoc.2015.06.002. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, H. Qi, D. Malone, "Mitigating Collisions through Power-Hopping to Improve 802.11 Performance", Elsevier Pervasive and Mobile Computing, vol. 11, pp.41–55, Apr. 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.pmcj.2013.03.005. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Serrano, P. Patras, A. Mannocci, V. Mancuso, A. Banchs, "Control Theoretic Optimization of 802.11 WLANs: Implementation and Experimental Evaluation", Computer Networks, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 258–272, Jan. 2013, DOI: 10.1016/j.comnet.2012.09.010. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Serrano, A. de la Oliva, P. Patras, V. Mancuso, A. Banchs, "Greening Wireless Communications: Status and Future Directions", Elsevier Computer Communications, vol. 35, no. 14, pp. 1651–1661, Aug. 2012, DOI: 10.1016/j.comcom.2012.06.011. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- A. Banchs, P. Serrano, P. Patras, M. Natkaniec, "Providing Throughput and Fairness Guarantees in Virtualized WLANs through Control Theory", ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET), vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 435–446, Aug. 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11036-012-0382-2. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, A. Banchs, P. Serrano, "A Control Theoretic Scheme for Efficient Video Transmission over IEEE 802.11e EDCA WLANs", ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (TOMM), vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 29:1–29:23, July 2012, DOI: 10.1145/2240136.2240142. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, A. Banchs, P. Serrano, A. Azcorra, "A Control Theoretic Approach to Distributed Optimal Configuration of 802.11 WLANs", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 897–910, June 2011, DOI: 10.1109/TMC.2010.231. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Serrano, A. Banchs, P. Patras, A. Azcorra, "Optimal Configuration of 802.11e EDCA for Real-Time and Data Traffic", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 2511–2528, June 2010, DOI: 10.1109/TVT.2010.2043274. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, A. Banchs, P. Serrano, "A Control Theoretic Approach for Throughput Optimization in IEEE 802.11e EDCA WLANs", ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET), vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 697–708, Dec. 2009, DOI: 10.1007/s11036-008-0121-x. [PDF] [BibTeX]
Refereed Conference Papers
- C. Capretti, F. Gringoli, N. Facchi, P. Patras, "LTE/Wi-Fi Co-existence under Scrutiny: An Empirical Study", to appear in Proceedings of the ACM 10th International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental evaluation & CHaracterization (WiNTECH), New York, USA, Oct. 2016. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- G.H. Sim, R. Li, C. Cano, D. Malone, P. Patras, J. Widmer, "Learning from Experience: Efficient Decentralized Scheduling for 60GHz Mesh Networks", In Proceedings of IEEE 17th International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), Lisbon, Portugal, June 2016. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- N. Facchi, F. Gringoli, D. Malone, P. Patras, "When Is the Right Time to Transmit in Multi-hop White-Fi?" (demo), In Proceedings of IEEE 17th International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), Lisbon, Portugal, June 2016. [extended abstract] [BibTeX]
- D. Malone, H. Qi, D. Botvich, P. Patras, "802.11 Buffers: When Bigger is Not Better?", In Proceedings of International Workshop on Wireless Access Flexibility (WiFlex), Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), Kaliningrad, Russia, Sept. 2013, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-39805-6_4. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- H. Feghhi, P. Patras, D. Malone, "Practical Node Policing in 802.11 WLANs" (demo), In Proceedings of IEEE 14th International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), Madrid, Spain, June 2013, DOI: 10.1109/WoWMoM.2013.6583367. [extended abstract] [BibTeX]
- A. Giannoulis, P. Patras, E. Knightly, "Mobile Access of Wide-Spectrum Networks: Design, Deployment and Experimental Evaluation", In Proceedings of IEEE 32nd International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), Turin, Italy, Apr. 2013, DOI: 10.1109/INFCOM.2013.6566968. [PDF] [technical report] [BibTeX]
- P. Salvador, S. Paris, C. Pisa, P. Patras, Y. Grunenberger, X. Perez-Costa, J. Gozdecki, "A Modular, Flexible and Virtualizable Framework for IEEE 802.11", In Proceedings of Future Network & Mobile Summit 2012, Berlin, Germany, July 2012. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, H. Qi, D. Malone, "Exploiting the Capture Effect to Improve WLAN Throughput", In Proceedings of IEEE 13th International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), San Francisco, USA, June 2012, DOI: 10.1109/WoWMoM.2012.6263697. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- J. Lessmann, A. de la Oliva, C. Sengul, A. Garcia, M. Kretschmer, S. Murphy, P. Patras, "On the Scalability of Carrier-grade Mesh Network Architectures", In Proceedings of Future Networks & Mobile Summit, Warsaw, Poland, June 2011. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Serrano, P. Patras, X. Perez Costa, B. Gloss, D. Chieng, "A MAC Layer Abstraction for Heterogeneous Carrier Grade Mesh Networks", In Proceedings of ICT Mobile Summit 2009, Santander, Spain, June 2009. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- P. Patras, A. Banchs, P. Serrano, "A Control Theoretic Framework for Performance Optimization of IEEE 802.11 Networks", In Proceedings of IEEE 28th International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Apr. 2009, DOI: 10.1109/INFCOMW.2009.5072094. [extended abstract] [poster] [BibTeX]
- A. Bikfalvi, P. Patras, C.M. Vancea, V. Dobrota, "The Management Infrastructure of a Network Measurement System for QoS Parameters", In Proceedings of 14th International Conference on Software, Telecommunication and Computer Networks (SoftCOM), Split-Dubrovnik, Croatia, Oct. 2006, DOI: 10.1109/SOFTCOM.2006.329752. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- Wrasse: Riding Millimetre Radio Waves at Gigabit-per-second Speeds
This project seeks to explore the potential of wireless networks operating in the 60GHz frequency-band to achieve Gb/s data-rates. The problems we are currently investigating include 802.11ad performance analysis, resource allocation, and small cell backhauling. The research is partially funded by the University of Edinburgh Development Trust through an Innovative Initiative Grant.
- FLAVIA: FLexible Architecture for Virtualizable future wireless Internet Access (2011–2013)
FLAVIA is a successfully completed collaborative research project funded by the European Commission through a FP7-2009-ICT-5 grant. The team focused on exposing flexible programmable interfaces for commercial off-the-shelf wireless devices, that enable service customisation and performance optimisation through software-based exploitation of low-level operations and control primitives.
- CARMEN: CARrier grade MEsh Networks (2008–2010)
CARMEN is a successfully completed collaborative research project funded by the European Commission through a FP7-2008-ICT-1 grant. The objective was to designed a heterogeneous wireless mesh network architecture supporting carrier grade triple-play services for mobile/fixed network operators.
- DAIDALOS II: Designing Advanced network Interfaces for the Delivery and Administration of Location independent, Optimised personal Services (2007–2008)
DAIDALOS II is a successfully completed integrated project funded by the European Commission through a FP6-2004-IST-4 grant. The project designed, developed and validateed a beyond 3rd generation mobile communications framework, supporting secure, personalised and pervasive services built on heterogeneous technology.
- Rui Li (Ph.D.), The University of Edinburgh, 2018 (expected).
- Sivaprakash Senapathi (M.Res.), The University of Edinburgh (co-supervised with Mahesh Marina), 2015. (now at J.P. Morgan)
- Daniel Licciardello, University of Catania, Mar. 2016–May 2016.
- Chiara Capretti, University of Brescia, Sept. 2015–Dec. 2015.
- Nicolo Facchi, University of Brescia, Sept. 2014–Feb. 2015.
If you are interested in undertaking a PhD under my supervision, you may find this advice helpful.
- Fall 2016, Fall 2015, Fall 2014 – INFR09040: Computer Science Large Practical
- Fall 2015 – INFR09041: Undergraduate Research Practical
- Spring 2013 – EE402: Computer & Communications Networks (National University of Ireland Maynooth)
- Spring 2008, Spring 2009 – Network Infrastructure (University Carlos III of Madrid)
- Technical Programme Committee co-chair, The 10th ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental Evaluation \& Characterization (WiNTECH 2016), co-located with ACM MobiCom.
- Demos/Posters chair, The 9th ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental Evaluation & Characterization (WiNTECH 2014), co-located with ACM MobiCom.
- Demos/Posters chair, The 11th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWAC 2013), co-located with ACM MSWiM.
- Publication co-chair, The 13th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM 2012).
- Scientific secretary, The 16th European Wireless Conference (EW 2010).
Technical Programme Committees
- The IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (IEEE VTC 2017-Spring, IEEE VTC 2016-Fall, VTC 2016-Spring, VTC 2015-Fall, VTC 2015-Spring, VTC 2013-Fall, VTC 2013-Spring).
- The IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM 2015 Demos, WoWMoM 2013, WoWMom 2012).
- The IEEE International Workshop on Software Defined 5G Networks (Soft5G 2015, Soft5G 2016), co-located with IEEE SoftNet.
- The IEEE/IFIP Wireless Days Conference (WD 2014, WD 2013, WD 2012).
- The IFIP International Conferences on Networking (Networking 2014, Networking 2012).
- The ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWAC 2014, MobiWAC 2013).
- The Scottish Infromatics & Computer Science Alliance PhD Conference (SICSA 2014).
- The 24thAnnual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2013).
- The International Workshop on Wireless Access Flexibility (WiFlex 2013).
- The International Conference on Wireless Information Networks and Systems (WINSYS 2012).
- The 5th IEEE International Workshop on Enabling Technologies and Standards for Wireless Mesh Networking (MeshTech 2011), co-located with IEEE MASS.
- Technical Committee member, Elsevier Computer Communications journal (2014–present).
- IEEE journals: IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE Communications Letters, IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- PloS journals: PloS ONE.
- Elsevier journals: Computer Networks, Ad-hoc Networks, Pervasive and Mobile Computing.
- Springer journals: ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET), Wireless Networks, Telecommunications Systems, Wireless Personal Communications, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking.
- Other: Journal of Communications and Networks, Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, Hindawi Mobile Information Systems.