Iain Murray’s notes as a Personal Tutor
This page contains links to information and tools that help me in my role as an undergraduate Personal Tutor.
- Outside Courses: common choices for 1st and 2nd year Informatics students.
- Informatics Degree Programme Tables (DPTs), also on PATH, course selection rules.
- Informatics handbooks are meant to contain all the meta guidance and regulations students need to know. Tell year organizers if they don’t (link needs VPN).
- Course registration and changes information. Tutees’ course selections on PATH (years 3–5).
- Informatics courses: DRPS, Sortable list, deadlines.
- University-level timetabling: PATH, timetable browser, from course codes/acronyms, web timetables (and room usage).
- InfBase, InfPALS, Programming club, MathsBase, and MathPALs — extra support with Informatics and Maths.
- Informatics coursework deadlines, for individual students (link needs VPN). If deadlines don't appear, remind lecturers to fill out this.
- Teaching organizations:
- Semester Dates and David Sterratt’s ical version.
- Exam information, including dates. The library archives past exam papers.
- Regulations, policies, and procedures:
Tools for staff
- PATH course selections bookmarklet helper.
- Timetable from course codes, takes arbitrary text, e.g., from the above bookmarklet.
- Boxes: cross-checking of lists, (e.g., UUNs/course codes). Introduction and examples.
- DRPS arrows: easily switch sessions in the DRPS, and adds links to course codes.
Other useful resources for students
- The University’s guidance for students including new students and student services.
- EdHelp, the University's "one-stop" service for help on a range of issues.
- The Advice Place, the student union's centre for advice on a range of issues.
- Proof of student status and transcripts.
- The University Health Centre. Every student should register with a GP either here or at another practice in Edinburgh. Other Health and Wellbeing advice.
- Laptop loans. (Your own laptop may die at some point: keep backups!)
- The Careers Service including Internships and part time work (page for PTs).
- Institute for Academic Development and their support for undergraduates. A range of advice and courses on study skills and making the most of your time.
- Help with English for international students.
- Student Immigration Service (contact details) for visa advice, immigration problems.
- Student Disability Service
- The Accommodation Office
Someone to listen and provide support
- The Student Counselling Service: self help, crisis numbers
- The University Chaplaincy
- The Samaritans: Phone 0131 221 9999 (or free national number 116 123)
- Nightline: Phone 0131 557 4444, or instant message (8pm–8am during term-time)
- Saneline: Phone 0300 304 7000 (4:30pm–10pm)
- Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre: contact details