Iain Murray’s notes as a Personal Tutor
This page contains notes and links to help me in my role as an undergraduate Personal Tutor, and to provide pointers for those students assigned to me. I also use the School’s Personal Tutor pages, the College pages, and University pages.
Course lists, descriptions and sources of support:
- Outside Courses (PDF): common choices for 1st and 2nd year Informatics.
- Informatics Degree Programme Tables (DPTs), also on PATH, course selection rules.
- Informatics handbooks (handbooks include course registration and changes information).
- Informatics courses: DRPS, Sortable list, timetable, deadlines.
- University-level timetabling: PATH, timetable browser, web timetables (and room usage).
- InfBase, InfPALS, Programming club, MathsBase, and MathsPALs — extra support with Informatics and Maths.
- ITO and their contact details
- Informatics tutorial groups: student.inf portal, and on theon.
- Courses from other schools:
- Exam information, including dates.
- Regulations, policies, and procedures:
For staff, Euclid and DRPS notes: course catalogue links, more compact DPTs.
Other useful resources for students
A large part of this list was initially copied from Philip Best.
- Proof of student status and transcripts.
- The University’s guidance for students including new students and student services.
- The Advice Place, EUSA’s drop-in centre for advice on a range of issues.
- The University Health Centre. Every student should register with a GP either here or at another practice in Edinburgh.
- The Careers Service including Internships and part time work.
- Institute for Academic Development and their support for undergraduates. A range of advice and courses on study skills and making the most of your time.
- Help with English for international students.
- Edinburgh Global (contact details) for visa advice, immigration problems.
- Student Disability Service
- The Accommodation Office
- The Student Counselling Service: self help, crisis numbers
- The University Chaplaincy
- The Samaritans: Phone 0131 221 9999 (or free national number 116 123)
- Nightline: Phone 0131 557 4444, or instant message (8pm–8am during term-time)
- Saneline: Phone 0300 304 7000 (4:30pm–10pm)
- Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre: contact details