Iain Murray’s Personal Tutor notes
This page is an unofficial collection of links and tools for Personal Tutors (and students), particulary in Informatics. See also the School’s Personal Tutor pages and PT Quick guide, the College pages, and the University pages.
- Outside Courses: common choices for 1st and 2nd year Informatics students.
- Informatics Degree Programme Tables (DPTs), also on Path, course selection rules.
- Informatics handbooks are meant to contain all the meta guidance and regulations students need to know. Tell year organizers if they don’t (link needs VPN).
- Course registration and changes information. Tutees’ course selections on Path (bookmarklet helper).
- Informatics courses: DRPS, Sortable list, deadlines.
- University-level timetabling: Path, timetable browser, from course codes/acronyms, web timetables (and room usage).
- InfBase, InfPALS, Programming club, MathsBase, and MathPALs — extra support with Informatics and Maths.
- Informatics coursework deadlines, for individual students (link needs VPN). Form course organizers fill out (also needs VPN).
- Teaching organizations:
- Semester Dates and David Sterratt’s ical version.
- Exam information, including dates. The library archives past exam papers.
- Regulations, policies, and procedures:
Tools for staff
- Path course selections bookmarklet helper.
- Timetable from course codes, takes arbitrary text, e.g., from the above bookmarklet.
- Boxes: cross-checking of lists, (e.g., UUNs/course codes). Introduction and examples.
- DRPS arrows: easily switch sessions in the DRPS, and adds links to course codes.
- UoE's edin.ac URL shortener and QR code generator (bit.ly backend).
Other useful resources for students
- The University’s guidance for students including new students and student services.
- EdHelp, the University's "one-stop" service for help on a range of issues.
- The Advice Place, the student union's centre for advice on a range of issues.
- Proof of student status and transcripts.
- The University Health Centre. Every student should register with a GP either here or at another practice in Edinburgh. Other Health and Wellbeing advice.
- Laptop advice and Laptop loans. (Your laptop may fail: keep backups!)
- The Careers Service including Internships and part time work (page for staff).
- Institute for Academic Development and their support for undergraduates. A range of advice and courses on study skills and making the most of your time.
- Help with English for international students.
- Student Immigration Service (contact details) for visa advice, immigration problems.
- Disability and Learning Support Service
- The Accommodation Office