Visual observation and analysis of animal and insect behavior
A one day workshop to be held in conjunction with the
20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2010)
August 22, 2010
and sponsored by the EU ChiRoPing project: Developing versatile and robust perception using sonar systems that integrate active sensing, morphology and behaviour.
There has been an enormous amount of research on analysis of video
data of humans, but relatively little on visual analysis of other
organisms. The goal of this workshop is to stimulate and bring
together the current research in this area, and provide a forum for
researchers to share expertise. As we want to make this more of a
discussion workshop, we encourage work-in-progress presentations.
Reviewing will be lightweight and only abstracts will be circulated to
The issues that the research will address include:
- detection of living organisms
- organism tracking and movement analysis
- dynamic shape analysis
- classification of different organisms (eg. by subspecies)
- assessment of organism behavior or behavior changes
- size and shape assessment
- health monitoring
These problems can be applied to a variety of species at different sizes,
such as fruit and house flies, crickets, cockroaches and other insects,
farmed and wild fish, mice and rats, commercial farm animals such as poultry,
cows and horses, and wildlife monitoring, etc. One aspect that they all have
in common is video data.
Submit a 4 page extended abstract in English, in PDF, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
by April 1, 2010.
The extended abstracts (PDF) should be anonymous. Include in your email the name(s) of the author(s),
institutional affiliation, complete mailing address, international phone and fax numbers.
The papers presented at the workshop will be published in the workshop notes,
for distribution to the participants and linked to this page after the workshop.
|Submission Deadline||April 1, 2010|
|Acceptance Notification||May 8, 2010|
|Revised Abstract Deadline||June 1, 2010|
On-line registration of workshops will be available via the ICPR 2010 web page.
It is not necessary to register for the full conference to attend the workshop.
Papers to be Presented
- "Rigid body reconstruction for motion analysis of giant honey bees using stereo vision"
M. Maurer, M. Rüther and Horst Bischof, G. Kastberger
- "On-line counting of pests in a greenhouse using computer vision"
I. Bechar, S Moisan
- "Robust insect classification applied to real time greenhouse infestation monitoring"
R. Kumar, V. Martin, S. Moisan
- "Automated visual monitoring of nesting seabirds"
P. Dickinson, C. Qing, S. Lawson, R. Freeman
- "Bat echolocation behavior from highspeed 3D video"
Y. Xiao, R. Fisher
- "Reconstruction and analysis of 3d trajectories of Brazilian free-tailed bats in flight"
D. Theriault, Z. Wu, N. Hristov, S. M. Swartz, K. S. Breuer, T. Kunz, M. Betke
- "Cataloging birds in their natural habitat"
T. Ko, S. Soatto, D. Estrin, A. Cenedese
- "Detection and identification of animals using stereo vision"
O. Lévesque, R. Bergevin
Fish and other marine animals
- "Estimation of cow's body condition score from images"
S. Battiato,G. M. Farinella, G. C. Guarnera, G. Puglisi, G. Azzaro, M. Caccamo, G. Licitra, J. D. Ferguson
- "Tools and resources for cow behaviour monitoring"
J. Green, A. P. French, C. Brignell, J. Huxley, T. P. Pridmore
- "An algorithm for automatic tracking of rat whiskers"
G. Gyory, V. Rankov, G. Gordon, I. Perkon, B. Mitchinson, R. Grant, T. Prescott
- "Whisker detection as a shortest path problem"
I. Perkon, A. Košir, J. Tasič, M. Diamond
- "Improved rodent contour extraction using a priori shape information"
R. R. Sillito, T. C. Lukins, J. D. Armstrong
- "Vision-based automated recognition of mice home-cage behaviors"
H. Jhuang, E. Garrote, T. Poggio, A. D Steele, T. Serre
- "Generic phase curl localisation for an individual identification of Turing-patterned animals"
T. Burghardt, N. Campbell
- "Computer assisted photo identification of Dermochelys coriacea"
P. M. de Zeeuw, E. J. Pauwels, E. B. Ranguelova, D. M. Buonantony, S. A. Eckert
- "A new taxonomy and graphical representation for visual fish analysis with a case study"
G. Ros-Sánchez, G. Garciá-Mateos, L. M. Vera, F. J. Sánchez-Vázquez
- "A Detection, Tracking, and Classification System for Underwater Images"
D. E. Cline, D. R. Edgington
|R. Fisher||University of Edinburgh|
|J. Hallam||University of South Denmark|
|Y. Xiao||University of Edinburgh|
|D. Armstrong||University of Edinburgh|
|A. Branzan Albu ||University of Victoria|
|D. Forsyth||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign|
|Y. Kita||Japanese Nat. Inst. of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)|
|T. Lukins||University of Edinburgh|
|V. Martin ||INRIA Sophia Antipoles|
|M. Mirmehdi||University of Bristol|
|G. Mori ||Simon Fraser University|
|L. Mummert ||Intel|
|S. Ravela||Masssachusetts Inst of Technology|
|C. Spampinato||Universita' di Catania|
Email: Prof. Robert Fisher at rbf -a-t- inf.ed.ac.uk.
School of Informatics, Univ. of Edinburgh
1.26 Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton St
Edinburgh EH8 9AB, UK
Tel: +44-(131)-651-3441 (direct line), +44-(131)-651-3443 (secretary)